Sunday 2 September 2012

LARAAJI

 

I've been listening to Laraaji's Ambient 3: Day of Radiance again recently. It was released as part of Brian Eno's ambient series after Eno supposedly heard him playing in Washington Square Park. I first heard it as a teenager after borrowing it from my local library along with Harold Budd's The Room. My musical tastes at the time consisted mostly of Fugazi and Sebadoh, and so this music was a radical(ish) departure. Laraaji's zither creates magical waves like Alice Coltrane's harp meditations spiraling up into the cosmos. I'm pleased to see he's still making waves working with Blues Control on FRKWYS Vol. 8 - a great listen. Also worth tracking down his first record Celestial Vibration recorded under his birth-name, Edward Larry Gordon.

No comments:

Post a Comment